Inside IR35 – 3 Days a week in office
About the role
The ABS Portfolio Manager will lead and manage a portfolio of large scale complex global strategic change programmes and business transformations with the business and delivery partners (circa $67m+ budget, matrixed teams, multiple business lines). They act as a role model, leading as one global team, demonstrating active leadership and communication. As a senior leader they need to be able to operate at executive level, across regions and global businesses.
The Portfolio Manager is responsible for deploying the Business Transformation Frameworks within their portfolio and instilling good programme disciplines within their programmes/projects The role holder has end to end responsibility for all aspects of the portfolio, including definition, planning, execution & implementation, governance & control, financial, resource and change management. They are also responsible for effective handover of any of the programmes/projects within their portfolio into Business as Usual operations to support effective benefits realisation. They work closely with their respective Programme Managers, Project Managers, and the Global CTO PPM Practice team and their senior stakeholders to ensure alignment of their portfolio with the wider IT change portfolio and the Group Strategy, Values and Behaviours.
The specific purpose of this role is to establish and deliver (manage / direct / track) and report progress on a portfolio of group wide programmes/projects that will ensure that the bank meets its obligations in respect of a number of key Vision ’27 outcomes
The Portfolio Manager will provide direct oversight and accountability for the portfolio of programme (s) / projects (s) within their portfolio. They will report into the Global Head of Available Business Services and matrix report into the Global Head of CTO PPM. In executing this role, the Portfolio Manager will:
- influence strategy and shape the programme approach across a series of projects or component activities, building stakeholder buy-in around plans, commitments and changes
- build strong relationships with senior stakeholders within but not limited to: Technology, Global Businesses and Global Functions, Finance
- work closely with their respective Programme, Project Managers, the Global CTO PPM Practice team and their senior stakeholders to ensure alignment of their portfolio of programmes/projects with the wider change portfolio and group strategy, values and behaviour
- provide board level overview of progress, lead and direct multidisciplinary teams across all global businesses, global functions and regions
- lead end to end execution and responsibility for all aspects of the portfolio of programmes/projects, including definition, planning, execution & implementation, governance & control, financial, resource and change management.
- provide financial analysis, including being able to contextualise financial data into business activities and conclusions.
- accountable for all elements of programme financial management, including headcount and software delivery capitalisation
- ensure the adherence to financial processes and procedures at portfolio, programme and project level, as set and communicated by the bank Group, regulators and CTO PPM Practice.
- own the identification and escalation of any budgetary related risks, issues and opportunities to portfolio/function as appropriate.
- have responsibility for effective handover of the programme into Business as Usual operations to support effective benefits realisation.
- have responsibility for deploying the Business Transformation Frameworks and respective methodologies within their portfolio of programmes/projects and instilling good programme disciplines within their programme and wider team.
- lead and manage within the matrix environment to enable successful delivery.
- manage negotiation with and management of, and service agreement monitoring of third party contracts with Technology suppliers.
- manage the development and promotion of the technology portfolio and project management practices.
- manage the reporting of progress, issues, dependencies and risks to committees and make recommendations to influence decision making in order to maintain progress towards delivery and benefits realisation.
- drive Agile ways of working and use/promote Agile practices and DevOps capabilities.
- provide insight on how we can optimise the change portfolio to maximize the investment in our strategic change agenda.
- maintain Technology regulatory compliance and mandatory vendor change.
- meet capacity requirements and maintain appropriate vendor support for both hardware and software (termed ‘Evergreening’). ensuring that all Technology practices and associated tools are being adopted and adhered to within the Programme
What you bring to the role;
To be successful in the role you should have proven experience within the Technology sector with knowledge of the following skills:
- Bachelor or Master degree in STEM or relevant work experience (Engineering/Technical background)
- Proven management experience of distributed teams
- Ability to drive delivery and a proven track record of success in challenging environments
- Ability to think and act strategically and proactively
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills in fluent English
- The candidate would be someone who has a successful delivery track record in a fast paced environment and can adapt to the challenges of delivering products within a bank
- Keen understanding of key strategic trends
- Customer focus and effective in managing Business relationships
- Well-developed negotiation skills and ability to influence across the matrix
- Outstanding project, programme and portfolio management experience which include communications capabilities, decision making and problem solving skills, lateral thinking, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent understanding and proven experience of Programme and Project Management methodologies including Waterfall and Agile.
- Ability to direct and influence people in a matrix orientated environment and establish working partnerships at a junior and senior organizational level.
- Outstanding relationship management, collaboration and influencing skills.
- Proven ability to articulate complex issues concisely and in simple language to recognise to the global remit of this role.
- Detail orientated.
- Strong financial analytical background and proven ability in financial/analytical reasoning, including being able to contextualise financial data into business activities and conclusions.
- Experience of driving continuous improvement
This role will primarily be based in London or another UK base location, some travel may be required